A high profile client with operations around Australia made one of their Far North Queensland employees redundant. Ordinarily, employees who live outside the main economic centres like Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, would be unable to receive any form of career transition support. No outplacement firm has offices throughout all of Australia. Instead our client was able to provide our unique ‘virtual’ outplacement offering to their departing employee. It helped the client uphold a duty of care and their values. It helped the employee land on her feet and made her feel that her former employer cared. She has now happily secured employment elsewhere, with the help of her program via CareerSupport365.
Outplacement services for employees who live outside Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin, and Perth
As the Founder of CareerSupport365, upon its inception, I wanted to ensure that anyone, anywhere could get access to outplacement services, regardless of living in Sydney or any other main city, or wherever they live in Australia.
So rather than set up offices in many different locations, with rental overheads that would have to be passed on to the client, I decided that the best way of delivering this was to flip outplacement on its head.
We authored and produced contemporary and practical content that any departing employee would really ever need.
Rather than take expensive office space, we decided to deliver CareerSupport365’s career transition services via a secure online platform.
We offered that each Participant, regardless of experience or hierarchy, would be provided individual access to all online content for 365 days – this explains the 365 in our brand name.
Problems of Traditional Delivery of Outplacement in Australia
Among others, traditional delivery of career transition services has the following issues:
- 40 percent of people who were provided outplacement did not even show up to commence their outplacement services program due to distance issues and the inconvenience of commuting.
- 70 percent of people who attended traditional office-based (often group sessions/workshop-delivered) outplacement services, dropped out after their first experience.
For remotely based, non-urban dwelling people, these figures would clearly be far higher.
Benefits of a more modern, technologically driven outplacement services offering
In contrast to the figures above, at CareerSupport365:
- Over 60 percent of our Participants lived outside Sydney, where most of our Australian career coaches presently reside;
- Yet, 90 percent of all Participants actively engage in their outplacement services program;
- In excess of 80 percent completed the main cores of their online modules, which led to them having better LinkedIn profiles, improved résumés, and overall greater likelihood of being noticed by Recruiters and Hiring Managers;
- Over 83 percent of Participants including those who lived outside Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Darwin, Hobart and Adelaide got a job offer within 6 weeks of completing our program.
Support your remote, non-urban departing employees as well as those who are city-based
While the Central Coast is not too far from Sydney, it can be a 90-minute hassle for people to commute to an office so they can experience their career transition program.
For 20 years, ‘Brian’ commuted for much of his work life to North Sydney. He told his HR Manager that he would have not taken up an outplacement services program had he needed to come to Sydney for it.
However, he happily and successfully engaged with his CareerSupport365 online outplacement services program and Skype career coaching sessions. In his late 50s, from being in Property Services with the one employer, for so many years, and unconfident about his next step upon being made redundant, Brian successfully worked through his program with the support of his career coach and landed a role in a similar field closer to home.
* * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * *